Restrictions: A maximum of (3) periods may be spent off campus in externships.
Externships are NOT normally scheduled during the following periods without signed approval from the Associate Dean for Students Affairs.
- Period 10
- Period 11
Requirements for Approval: The following forms must be completed for the externship to be approved:
These forms are available on the Forms page. The student must complete all requested information in Part I, which includes the signature of the sponsoring USF Department Director (below), and submit the form to the Registrar's Office for approval. You must complete one form per site/specialty, e.g.
- Two surgery applications at Institution X = 1 form
- One surgery application at Institution X and One surgery application at Institution Y = 2 forms
- One Internal Med application at Institution X and One surgery application at Institution x = 2 forms
Host Institution Application FormMost Medical School will require completion of their application form or an application via VSAS.
- Proof of Emergency Medical Insurance (if applicable)
Students traveling internationally must contact USF Medicine International (http://health.usf.edu/medicine/ia/travel_guidelines.htm) and are required to complete the international travel registration process and purchase the University’s travel medical and evacuation insurance.
Students away from campus on externships are required to keep the Registrar's Office informed of their exact whereabouts so they can be located in the event of an emergency.
- Non University Externships: This type of program should be arranged between the USF Departmental Chairperson and the Chief of the hospital service (who in turn is responsible for obtaining any further approval required by the hospital governing body). The USF College of Medicine Application for Externship Course must be completed.
Under unique circumstances tutorial experience with clinicians in practice may be arranged through the Departmental Chairperson and the Dean of the College of Medicine.
Externship Evaluation: All externships require a written evaluation of the student's performance at the conclusion of such elective periods. This evaluation must be submitted to the Registrar's Office for processing. Students should take an evaluation form with them to the externship. It is the student's responsibility to ensure that the Registrar's Office receives an evaluation form from the host institution.
Guidelines and Tips: Click here for additional information discussed at the class meeting (filling out forms, alternate school dates, malpractice coverage, etc.).
Fingerprinting, Background checks, Drug screens, Immunizations, etc.: Click here
Year 3 Clerkship Dates 2019-2020:and
Signatory (Dept Director)
UME Dean/Stu Aff Dean